Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 2: Health Tip - Place it Far Away

Good afternoon readers!

So I've been talking at you for a few posts now, and I just thought I'd give some credibility to myself quick...so you realize I'm not just "some quack."  My name is Samantha.  I work at the Mayo Clinic.  I work in endocrinology/diabetes/nutrition.  My personal passion is obesity - especially childhood obesity...after all, did you know we now have an epidemic of obese six month olds?

True story friend.

Shocking, right?  Yep.  Anyway, on to the blog of the day...

Put things farther away.  You heard me.  Move that trash can from under your desk at work to five feet way.  And for those of you who are basketball superstars, move it further.  The further the better.  Move that  binder next to your desk that you grab for every two minutes - to a shelf above your desk where you must stand to reach it.  Move your cell phone a few feet away.  Move your mini fridge from beside your bed.  Make it so you must get up to change the channel on the TV or move the remote a couch or a chair away.  Think this is simple?  It is, that is the brilliance my friends.  But the amount of times your getting up to move will be significantly increased.

Move more, burn more, think better, feel better.

And just to back this idea up, I've been doing it.  And our research shows that the more you move, the more productive you are, and the better you learn.

Things that I have "far away:"
1) My trash can at work...I go here a lot, makes me get up at least once every ten to fifteen minutes and doesn't interrupt my work.  If anything, it makes me more productive.
2) My cell phone.  I put it farther away from my desk so I can't conveniently check it whenever I want to.  I must go to it.  I also do this at home.
3) The remote.  When and IF I watch TV I'll put the remote one couch away.  It was annoying at first, but when I realized just how much even little movements can make a huge difference, I don't mind it anymore.

Get creative.  What can you move farther away?  Post your ideas below, I'd love to hear em.  And don't forget to take my (now weekly) poll on the side of this page.

This post wasn't helpful to you?  Well then just stay tuned for tomorrows post.  Or later tonight's post.  Depending on my ambition levels.


No comments:

Post a Comment