Thursday, June 28, 2012

Health Tip: Smaller Plates, NO Seconds

Hello dear readers!

I'm sorry to have left you hangin' for a few days.  Accept my apology?  Please?  Life has just gotten a little crazy recently.  Every day something drastic happens it seems.

So, I've mentioned portion distortion before and how its changed completely since the 1980's.  But I wanted to give you a real life example of this.

I was eating at Famous Daves yesterday (BBQ? Uh - yum!), and this is the plate I received to eat on.

Photo

Is this not one of the biggest plates you've ever seen in your life?!!? I thought so.  My fork looked TINY in comparison!  Not okay.  When we eat with bigger size plates, we automatically eat more - even if we get full.

Our plate fulls should be the diameter of that fork.

So here is my suggestion to you: use smaller plates and don't go back for seconds.

Seems simple, right?  Not so.  Its hard to find "regular" size plates today.  And its hard to not go back for seconds when those mashed potatoes with gobbs of butter were "oh so good."

Self control people, self control.  Cultivate this habit in your life.  You'll feel stronger, happier, and you'll be healthier because of it.

Tomorrow I'm going to write more on the issue of self control, but today, time is escaping me yet again.

I just wanted to throw this picture out there so you know I'm not making this stuff up...portions, and plate sizes, are increasing at an exponential rate.

Fight the urge.  Don't take seconds.

Stay tuned.  Tomorrows post will be a fun one.

No comments:

Post a Comment